Nine dead in stampede at Nalanda temple in Bihar
NALANDA, Mar 31: At least nine people have been killed in a stampede that took place during prayers at the Sheetla Mata Temple in Bihar’s Nalanda district on Tuesday. The State government has announced an ex gratia of ₹6 lakh to the families of the victims.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also announced an ex gratia of ₹2 lakh to the families of the deceased and ₹50,000 to those injured from the PM Relief Fund.
The district administration has now closed the temple to tackle the situation. Locals alleged that there were no proper security arrangements at the temple to control the crowd. Devotees from Nalanda and neighbouring districts gather at the temple in Maghada village to offer prayers every Tuesday. The toll is likely to go up, they said.
The Bihar Chief Secretary has been instructed to initate a probe into the incident and submit a report to the government. Expressing condolences, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and Deputy CM Samrat Choudhary assured that all possible assistance would be provided to the victims.
Multiple victims filmed, minors included: Goa sex scandal
PANJIM, Mar 29: A sex scandal is Goa has left the state and nation in shock after a 20-year-old man was arrested for sharing sexually explicit photos and videos of girls, many of them minors.
Soham Naik was arrested and booked for rape, circulation of obscene material, cheating, criminal intimidation, and under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) and Information Technology (IT) Act.
With the investigation underway, here's a look at some of the key updates from the case.
Two sisters among victims - Police officials have stated that among the Naik's victims, two are sisters, of which, one is a minor. Both females have accused Naik of rape.
Multiple victims - Investigators have also stated that Naik exploited multiple victims. While initial reports suggest the that the number of victims could range from anywhere between 15 to 30 girls, the Congress has alleged that Naik assaulted around 100 girls.
"The number of victims exceeds 100. The accused had been perpetrating the crime for the last three years. This sex scandal is much bigger than what it is being made out to be," said Goa Congress chief Amit Patkar
Four complaints received - Police have stated that as of now, four females have filed complaints against Naik, including his girlfriend. Officials have stated that attempts are underway to identify other potential victims.
BJP distances itself from scandal - After Naik's arrest, it was revealed that he is the son of Sushant Naik, who is a municipal councillor affiliated with the BJP. However, the BJP has sought distance from Naik and stated that he was not a member of the party.
Talking to reporters in Curchorem, BJP leader and former Rajya Sabha MP Vinay Tendulkar claimed Sushant Naik, the father of the accused, was not a party member. "Municipal council elections are not fought on party symbols," he said, adding that Sushant Naik was not even a primary member of the BJP. "The act (scandal) is shameful and in no way the BJP is supporting it. We are condemning the act," the former MP told reporters.
Congress questions lack of action - Speaking to reporters, Goa Congress chief Amit Patkar questioned why action had been taken against Naik almost three years later. "The accused turned 21 this week. It means he was involved in the crime since he was 17-18. The Curchorem police were initially reluctant to register the case and did so only after pressure from local residents. Why have Goa State Women's Commission, Goa State Commission for Protection of Child Rights and state education department not swung into action as yet," he asked.
India braced for energy shock, PM warns of tough days ahead
NEW DELHI, Mar 23: Amid escalating tensions in West Asia and concerns over supply disruptions through the critical Strait of Hormuz, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday said that the war will have far-reaching consequences, adding that India must prepare for long-term impact.
"Another major challenge of the war is that summer is beginning in India. In the coming days, with rising temperatures, the demand for electricity will increase. Currently, adequate coal stocks are available at all power plants across the country," PM said.
He asserted that India remains energy-secure, backed by a 53 lakh metric tonne strategic petroleum reserve and a diversified import network spanning 41 countries. He added that the country is now targeting an expansion of its reserves to 65 lakh metric tonnes.
"In the last decade, India has prioritised the storage of crude oil for times of crisis. Today, we have a strategic petroleum reserve of over 53 lakh metric tonnes, and work is underway to increase this to more than 65 lakh metric tonnes," the Prime Minister told the Lok Sabha.
Highlighting efforts to reduce vulnerability, Modi said India has significantly diversified its energy import sources. "Earlier, we imported from 27 countries; today, we import energy from 41 countries," he noted.
The Prime Minister underlined that strengthening domestic preparedness has been a key focus. "Our refining capacity has also increased... Over the past decade, we have prioritised crude oil storage. We now have a robust strategic petroleum reserve," he said, adding that India’s refining capacity has also expanded.
"We are in constant touch with multiple countries to ensure steady supplies of oil and gas," he said.
However, Modi acknowledged that the ongoing conflict has posed unprecedented, multi-dimensional challenges for India. “This war has created unforeseen challenges -- economic, national security-related, and humanitarian. India has deep trade ties with countries involved in and affected by the conflict. The region is also a crucial route for our global trade, and a significant portion of our crude oil and gas imports pass through it,” he said.
He also condemned attacks on commercial vessels in key international waterways. “Attacks on commercial ships and disruptions in routes like the Strait of Hormuz are unacceptable. Through diplomatic efforts, India is working to ensure the safe passage of its vessels even in this volatile environment,” he added.
The Prime Minister added, “A large portion of crude oil, gas, fertiliser and many other energy sources come through the Strait of Hormuz, and despite the blocking of this route, we are ensuring that our needs are met".
Despite the disruptions, the Prime Minister stressed that India is managing its energy needs effectively. “A large share of crude oil, gas, fertilisers and other essential imports come through the Strait of Hormuz. Even with disruptions, we are ensuring uninterrupted supply,” he said, adding that household energy security remains a priority, with India importing nearly 60 per cent of its LPG requirements.
Iran has effectively blocked the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf through which nearly one-fifth of the world’s oil and gas supply passes. While Tehran has said the strait is closed only to the US and its allies, traffic has dropped to near zero after Iran reportedly attacked around 20 ships.
Oil prices have surged past USD100 per barrel, a sharp rise from USD75, and Iran has warned that prices could climb as high as USD 200.
PM reviews West Asia situation, underlines diversification imperatives
NEW DELHI, Mar 22: Prime Minister Narendra Modi Sunday chaired a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) to review the situation with regard to West Asia situation and suggest mitigating measures.
A government statement said the meeting assessed the ongoing conflict’s short, long and medium-term impact. Furthermore, the committee also discussed potential measures, both immediate and long-term, to manage the crisis.
“The ongoing conflict in West Asia will have significant short, medium and long-term impact on the global economy. Its effect on India was assessed, and counter-measures, both immediate and long-term, were discussed,” the statement said.
Modi directed that a Group of Ministers (GoM) and a group of secretaries be formed to work exclusively on a “whole-of-government approach” to the crisis. He urged sectoral groups to work in consultation with all stakeholders.
The CCS discussed diversifying sources of major imports, including fertilisers, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and petrochemicals.
Fertilisers assume significance ahead of the upcoming Kharif season, and in view of the disruptions to natural gas imports after Tehran’s missile attacks devastated energy infrastructure in Qatar, which is among the biggest importers of LNG globally.
“The measures taken in the last few years to maintain adequate stocks of fertilisers will ensure timely availability and food security. Alternate sources of fertilisers were also discussed to ensure continued availability in the future,” the statement read.
The cabinet committee also called for ensuring an “adequate” supply of coal stocks at all power plants. The carbon commodity becomes essential with power demand expected to peak in summers and the potential constraints of natural gas supplies due to the ongoing conflict.
‘Inflation is coming’: Rahul Gandhi flags rupee crash, lists 4 direct effects as he claims Modi govt has no strategy
NEW DELHI, Mar 21: Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi on Saturday warned that India could be headed for a fresh wave of inflation, linking it to the weakening rupee and rising fuel costs amid the US-Israel war on Iran.
“The rupee weakening against the dollar and heading towards 100, along with a sharp rise in industrial fuel prices — these aren't just numbers; they're clear signals of the inflation to come,” he wrote on X.
His remarks came a day after the rupee plunged 64 paise to close at an all-time low of 93.53 against the US dollar, amid pressure from rising crude oil prices and a broader risk-off sentiment among global investors.
Gandhi argued that the currency slide and fuel price surge would have a cascading effect across the economy, saying that the government may call it “normal” but this is not the “reality".
He outlined how this would certainly have a "direct and deep impact on every family's pocket”:
"Production and transport will become more expensive;
MSMEs will be hit the hardest;
Prices of everyday items will go up; and
FII money will flow out even faster, putting more pressure on the stock market."
“And it's just a matter of time—after the elections, prices of petrol, diesel, and LPG will be hiked too,” he added. The Congress leader was referring to the upcoming assembly elections in four states, West Bengal, Assam, Kerala and Tamil Nadu; and the UT of Puducherry.
Taking a direct swipe at the Centre, Gandhi said the government lacked a clear plan to tackle the unfolding economic challenges.
“The Modi government has neither direction nor strategy – just empty rhetoric. The question isn't what the government is saying – it's what's left on your plate,” he said.
The Congress leader’s concerns come against the backdrop of ongoing disruptions linked to the West Asia conflict, which have pushed up energy costs and raised fears of supply constraints in India.
The ministry of petroleum and natural gas has already urged commercial LPG users to shift to piped natural gas where available, in a bid to ease pressure on cylinder supplies. Despite government assurances of adequate stock, reports of panic buying and long queues at LPG depots have surfaced in several parts of the country.
The situation has been particularly acute in Kerala, where the ongoing LPG crunch has forced several restaurants and hotels to shut operations temporarily, earlier this month.
Election dates for Kerala, West Bengal, Assam, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry out
NEW DELHI, Mar 15: The Election Commission of India on Sunday announced the schedule for assembly polls in four states -- Tamil Nadu, Kerala, West Bengal and Assam -- and a Union Territory -- Puducherry.
High-stakes battle for the government in these five regions has already begun, with political parties batting for their respective sides at various events and public rallies since the start of this year.
The 126-member Assam legislative assembly, the 140 seats of the Kerala legislative assembly and the Union Territory of Puducherry with 30 assembly seats go to polls on April 9.
The election for the 234 seats of the Tamil Nadu assembly will be held on April 23.
The 294-member West Bengal legislative assembly will go to polls in two phases. Election for a total of 152 assembly constituencies will be held on April 23 and the remaining 142 seats will go to polls on April 29.
The counting of votes for all the four states and the Union Territory will take place on on May 4. The Election Commission has formulated the poll schedule such that the election processes for all the five regions should be completed before May 6.
Sonam Wangchuk released after 170 days as Centre revokes his detention under NSA
NEW DELHI, Mar 14: Ladakhi activist Sonam Wangchuk was released from Jodhpur Central Jail on Saturday, after the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) revoked with “immediate effect” his 170-day detention under the National Security Act (NSA).
Invoking its powers under Section 14 of the stringent Act, the MHA revoked the Leh district magistrate’s order through which Wangchuk has been detained since September 26, 2025. He has “already undergone nearly half of the period of detention” under the NSA, the Ministry said.
The MHA is not known to have exercised this provision for any detainee in the past.
The 1980 Act enables detention of an individual for up to a year, based on executive orders and without a trial in a court of law, on the grounds that the person poses a threat to national security or to prevent them from disrupting public order.
The release comes ahead of the Supreme Court hearing next week on a petition filed by Mr. Wangchuk’s wife, Gitanjali J. Angmo challenging the NSA order, and two days before a protest called by civil society groups in Leh and Kargil to demand constitutional safeguards for the Union Territory. The Leh Apex Body (LAB) and the Kargil Democratic Alliance (KDA) have decided to go ahead with the March 16 protest.
The MHA said in a statement on Saturday that the government remains committed to fostering an environment of peace, stability, and mutual trust in Ladakh so as to facilitate constructive and meaningful dialogue with all stakeholders. In furtherance of this objective, the NSA order against Wangchuk is being revoked, the MHA said.
It added that Wangchuk had been detained under the NHA with a view to maintaining public order, against the backdrop of the serious law and order situation that arose in the peace-loving town of Leh on September 24, 2025.
Wangchuk and 15 others were on the 15th day of a 35-day hunger strike when violence erupted in Leh city. At least four people, including a Kargil war veteran, were killed in police firing, and 160 others were injured. This had been Wanchuk’s fifth hunger strike over the past five years to draw the government’s attention to the demands of constitutional safeguards for the region.
Taranjit Singh Sandhu named new L-G of Delhi
NEW DELHI, Mar 7: Former diplomat Taranjit Singh Sandhu has been appointed by President Droupadi Murmu as the new lieutenant governor (LG) of Delhi, replacing Vinai Kumar Saxena, who has been transferred to Ladakh as its lieutenant governor, the Rashtrapati Bhavan announced Thursday.
The appointments are part of a major reshuffle in gubernatorial posts across nine states and Union territories, effective from the dates the appointees assume charge, said a communique from Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Sandhu, a former Indian ambassador to the United States and high commissioner to Sri Lanka, is a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader who contested as the party’s candidate from Amritsar in the 2024 Lok Sabha elections.
A seasoned diplomat, he served as high commissioner to Sri Lanka from January 2017 to January 2020 and as consul general in Frankfurt from September 2011 to July 2013. He has worked in various capacities in the Union ministry of external affairs, including as officer on special duty for press relations, where he was responsible for liaison with foreign media in India, according to his profile on the website of the embassy of India in Washington DC.
Sandhu holds a History (hons) degree from St Stephen’s College, Delhi University, and a master’s in international relations from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU).
He replaces VK Saxena, who took over as Delhi’s 22nd lieutenant governor on May 26, 2022. |