|
Pakistan to play against India in T20 World Cup 2026
NEW DELHI, Feb 10: The ICC have released a statement confirming the participation of Pakistan in all their scheduled ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 matches – including their match against India on 15 February in Colombo.
The statement released by ICC said: “The dialogue between ICC and PCB took place as part of a broader engagement with both parties recognising the need for constructive dealings and being united, committed and purposeful in their aspirations to serve the best interests of the game with integrity, neutrality and cooperation.
“In that prevailing spirit, it was agreed that all members will respect their commitments as per the terms of participation for ICC events and do all that is necessary to ensure that the ongoing edition of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup is a success.
“With respect to Bangladesh, the ICC reiterated its continued facilitation of growth in one of cricket’s most vibrant markets, with more than 200 million passionate fans to ensure that the national team's non-participation in the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2026 does not have any long-term effects on cricket in the country.”
The ICC had previously noted the statement issued by the Government of Pakistan regarding its decision to restrict the team’s participation in the tournament to select matches.
Ahead of what will be a highly-anticipated contest against India, Pakistan will play their second game of the tournament against the USA on 10 February in Colombo.
They secured a three-wicket victory against Netherlands in their opening match of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026.
The announcement on Monday also followed a meeting between the ICC, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB).
The BCB and ICC thereafter confirmed that Bangladesh will not face penalties for their absence from the tournament and will have the opportunity to host an ICC event ahead of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2031, subject to standard ICC hosting processes and requirements.
Pakistan to boycott India match at T20 World Cup, ICC says not aware of official word
ISLAMABAD, Feb 1: In an unprecedented move, Pakistan on Sunday confirmed its participation in the T20 World Cup 2026 but announced that it will boycott its group-stage match against arch-rivals India. The decision was taken by the Government of Pakistan after the International Cricket Council (ICC) removed Bangladesh from the tournament following Dhaka’s refusal to play matches in India citing security concerns.
The development comes despite prior agreements between the ICC, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to hold all India–Pakistan fixtures at neutral venues. Notably, the Pakistani government did not spell out a specific reason for opting out of the February 15 fixture against India.
Earlier, the PCB had publicly backed Bangladesh during an ICC vote that asked member nations to ratify Dhaka’s request for a venue change. Pakistan and Bangladesh were the only two boards to support the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), while 14 other nations rejected the request, stating that the security threat did not warrant a shift away from India.
“The Government of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan grants approval to the Pakistan Cricket Team to participate in the ICC World T20 2026,” the government said in a statement posted on X.
However, it added that “the Pakistan Cricket Team shall not take the field in the match scheduled on 15th February 2026 against India.”
Alcaraz beats Djokovic to win Australian Open; completes career Slam
MELBOURNE, Feb 1: Carlos Alcaraz has rewritten tennis history by becoming the youngest man to complete the career Grand Slam with his victory over the great Novak Djokovic in the final of the Australian Open 2026 in Melbourne.
Alcaraz, 22, overcame a first-set loss to complete a 2-6, 6-2, 6-3, 7-5 triumph over the 24-time Grand Slam champion at the Rod Laver Arena on Sunday. In the process, he denied the 38-year-old a chance to become the only player with 25 Slam titles.
While the world number one later admitted his “legs were shaking” as he served for the title, he seemed to have the upper hand as the match wore on and finished after three hours and two minutes.
The top seed now has an Australian Open trophy to add to his two French Open, Wimbledon and US Open titles each, also making him the youngest to garner seven Slams.
Djokovic, from Serbia and a 10-time champion in Australia, was the quicker of the two out of the blocks and broke his younger rival twice to swiftly claim the opening set.
But Alcaraz, of Spain, didn’t waste time in pulling back and claiming the second set with the same scoreline in a display of speed, power and finesse.
In breaking the career Slam record, Alcaraz surpassed his idol and compatriot Rafael Nadal – who watched from the stands and who was two years older when he did the same.
It was a first defeat for Djokovic in a Melbourne final after he won all 10 previously, leaving him still searching for a landmark 25th major to better Australia’s Margaret Court, who was also watching on.
|